Guided tours and walks introducing visitors to Shetland's scenery, wildlife, history and culture
Welcome to Island Trails! If you have a week, a couple of days or even just an afternoon, Island Trails can ensure that your experience of Shetland is a truly magical one. Each unique tour is tailored to you, meaning that you'll make the most of your precious moments on the Islands. Join us for a guided walk or tour and experience the real Shetland! Let us introduce you to the magnificent landscapes, wildlife, history, people and stories of Shetland. Take a look at our Tours page to learn more.
Island Trails is owned and managed by local crofter and tour guide James Tait. James has a keen interest in the wildlife and history of Shetland and enjoys sharing his knowledge with visitors. To find out more about James and the history of Island Trails please visit our About Us page.
As you’ll see from the content of our website, James is active on various social media sites and would be delighted if you’d follow Island Trails on Facebook, Twitter and Flickr if you're into those. Follow and join our online conversation today!
The beautiful Shetland Islands are the most Northerly point of the UK at exactly 60 degrees North of the equator. At this latitude, mid summer is a magical time when for several weeks it never gets completely dark! A time that the locals call “Simmer Dim”. Shetland’s beauty is not reserved for summer only with each season bringing its own colours and character to the ever changing landscape. The unpredictable weather only adds to the mystery and ambience of these unique islands which have so much to offer visitors. You can find out more about Shetland by browsing some of the local sites listed on our links page.
This website has been produced with financial assistance from Shetland Islands Council Economic Development Department.
Sat, 18/05/2013 - 20:03
Fri, 17/05/2013 - 20:24
Tue, 14/05/2013 - 13:29
Mon, 13/05/2013 - 19:35
- James posted Island_Trails: An exhibition about ancient brochs that I must see, " Broch Boffins" http://t.co/YPeIT5N68L via @shetnews 7:35pm#
- James posted Island_Trails: Great view, thanks for sharing! RT @PromoteShetland: A fantastic shot of Bannamin beach and Burra. http://t.co/Glh1LJDCal 12:59pm#
- James posted Island_Trails: Travel news: Road at Esplanade, #Lerwick closed for repairs 13th to 24th May. See notice in Friday's Shetland Times for more info. #fb 12:54pm#
- James posted Island_Trails: Travel news: Road at Esplanade, #Lerwick closed for repairs 13th to 24th May. See notice in Friday's Shetland Times for more info. #fb 10:51am#
Sat, 11/05/2013 - 13:21
- James posted Island_Trails: RT @nordicblackbird: Sat sky filled with birdsong - sparrow, skylark, shalder, snippik, blackbird, curlew in Dolby Surround, with serious … 1:21pm#
- James posted Island_Trails: Congratulations! RT @paparwark: I have just heard that my application to join the guild of master craftsmen has been accepted. 10:35am#